Sunday, October 3, 2010

ROOM SERVICE

This article "Room Service" by Bill bryson, is one of many articles that are in Bill's book I'm a stranger here myself. In this chapter Bill tells us how he is always excited to go to a hotel/motel and its the feeling of it that is the most important thing.
Bill tells us in his article that he just loves everything about motels, and tell us some stories of his childhood going to different motels and seeing how different each one is from the other one. He also tells how he was looking for a motel to go to with his children, so they could experience the same as he did. He thinks that a motel has its own character, and that the chain motels such as comfort In and Ramada are not as exciting as one that is individually owned. However, his children and wife disagree with him!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Bryson on this topic. When I was little I would always get excited when we went on vacations because we would stop half way and get a hotel room. I don't know why I thought it was so much fun. It was something about being in a new environment just for the night. However I can see why his wife and children disagree because I have been in some pretty crappy motels. I guess you just have to make the best out of a bad situation sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When i go to hotels i do like how they are really nice and everyone there is so kind to you all the time. I do not think bryson is right about how different hotels are not the same as the high priced ones. i think they are all the same. everyone at all hotels cater to you and are very nice. the hotels that are more money are just trying to get more out of you because if you go to another hotel they will treat you just as good as the ones who make you pay more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that Bryson's own experiences and memories with individually owned motels made him feel what hes feeling. I also believe that back in his day they didn't have a lot of chained motels/hotels, so he doesnt have a lot of memories and experiences with it. However, I also believe that just being in a hotel/motel individually owned or belongs to a chin has this happy feeling to it, kindda like being at home, but without rules! I have been to several Comfort Ins in my life, and each time I go to I get the feeling of excitment when I swip the keycard, just like Bill Bryson did. Each visit to a Comfort In made me feel happy, and had its own feeling.

    ReplyDelete