Monday, November 15, 2010

Autism : a Better Look

After watching the movie Autism: the Musical, I got a better understand about Autism, and I can make a visual picture for the character Christopher in the Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. The documentary showed us how Autistic kids interact with regular people. They all like being in their own world, where there is no one to bother them. Before the movie I just thought Christopher was just a weird child, and I didn’t understand why he had a lack of emotion. For example when Christopher was talking about his mother and how she was dead, he was speaking of her like she was never his mother. He got straight to the point and said she died of a heart attack.

Christopher and the kids in the documentary have some similarities in common. For example Henry had a great deal of knowledge about dinosaurs that most people would not have. In Christopher’s case, his obsession is math and numbers. Neal is very quiet but like Christopher he throws temper tantrums. In the story, “Siobhan asked whether Father had hit me and I said I didn’t know because I got very cross and it made my memory go strange.” This shows how Chris had such a bad tantrum he blanks out and forgets everything. Also, the documentary showed how children with autism tend to be lonely and they go off in their own world. All of the kids had a place to get away from everything. Now I got a better understand why Christopher would sometimes go to his own world. But in the end, the documentary opened my eyes really helped my understand Christopher and his actions.

No comments:

Post a Comment