Sunday, November 14, 2010

Better understanding Christopher

After watching the documentary Autism: The Musical I now have a much clearer image of how Christopher is different from others. While I was watching the movie I could see different characteristics from each kid that were talked about with Christopher in The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. A lot of the kids in the film disliked loud noises and that is kind of like Christopher and being touched. When he is touched he feels violated and starts to hit the person touching him. Henry, from the movie, loved to talk about reptiles and he knew pretty much everything about them. His memory was very good and he was very smart because of it. This helped me see how Christopher too is very smart because of his amazing memory. I think Henry would agree with Christopher that their minds work like a computer. The film also shows how hard it is for kids with autism to be accepted by the other kids and how big of a struggle it is for their parents to take care of them. In a way I guess I can see how Christopher's mom just couldn't take it anymore. She obviously still cares about him because of all the letters and now I can understand how hard it must be for Christopher to be on his own trying to get to her. Thanks to the movie I will have a much better understanding of the character Christopher for the remainder of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment